Re: [Xen-users] setting the path where xm looks for config files

To: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] setting the path where xm looks for config files
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:09:16 +0000
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:09:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 06:02:06PM +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On 1/14/07, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >[...]
> >In the new Xen 3.0.4 the use of /etc/xen for storing VM config files
> >is now pretty much just there for back compatability. If you're using
> >the existing 'xm create' then it'll still load from /etc/xen as per the
> >usual rules. With the new command 'xm new', where the config file is
> >kept is prety irrelevant, as once it is loaded, XenD will keep the master
> >config file in a private managed dir under /var/lib/xend/domains.
> >So I'm not sure that its worth extending 'xm' to add more flexibility
> >to let it look somewhere other than /etc/xen because that dir is not
> >really very relevant any more.
>
> Wow, very interesting - quite a big change again in a minor version
> change - as always ;)
> I'll look deeper into that as soon as I have time cause it sounds like
> the things you described have a major impact on configuration file
> handling (e.g. does that mean I cannot change a vm's config anymore by
> editing it's config file?)

Yes, I don't believe that XenD watches its config files on disk for manual
changes, so I think you'll need to use the APIs to alter stuff. I fixed a
few bugs just before 3.0.4 was released so that you can at least use the
basic 'mem-set', 'mem-max', 'vcpu-set' commands from xm  to change the
config of an inactive guests, but there's much more it'd be desirable
to do besides those. Probably the most important commands which I don't
believe work on inactive guests currently are the block-attach/detach &
network-attach/detach commands.

> As always, I see no NEWS file in the Xen source packages - do you know
> of a place where all these user-visible changes are documented in a
> central place, or do you only know these things by watching xen-devel
> and all patches the whole day?

Yep, the latter for me  - I have to watch the patches & verify stuff doesn't
break with libvirt / virt-manager.

Regards,
Dan.