Re: [Xen-users] Slow network solved.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Slow network solved.
From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:13:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:13:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12 Jan 2007 at 3:48, Christopher G. Stach II wrote:

> IT wrote: > The solution was as simple as "ethtool -K eth0 tx off" on
> the domU's and "ethtool -K eth0 tx on" on the dom0's. After turning the
> tx checksumming off the network speed is faster and doesn't seem to be
> dropping packets at all anymore.
>
> I bet you'd find that at least 100 times in the list archives. :)

Still the explanation is missing: If one interface sends out an incorrect
packet,
other network interfaces should leave the packet as it is. So either "tx on"
does
something right, or it does something wrong. I don't see the relation in which
domain these commands are used. Aren't they all virtual interfaces? Why not
mess
with the physical one as well?
Much more interesting is the question _why_ are there packets with bad
checksums
leaving XEN boxes? Only some packets are wrong, not every packet.

Things like:
Portmap V2 DUMP Reply [Unreassembled Packet [incorrect TCP checksum]]
Source port: sunrpc (111)
Destination port: 37960 (37960)
Sequence number: 2301860783
Next sequence number: 2301861183
Acknowledgement number: 1071929957
Header length: 32 bytes
Flags: 0x0018 (PSH, ACK)
Window size: 5792
Checksum: 0x6cec [incorrect, should be 0x278a]

I believe very much in a software bug.

Regards,
Ulrich