Re: [Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backu

To: Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backup)
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:59:38 +0000
Cc: Ulrich Windl <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Lucas <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:59:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ligesh wrote:
 Then we won't even lose the applications buffers. We can restore it perfectly
to the exact state it was before. I think this feature is important enough for
real life scenarios. Uptime is the key. Installing backup software in each domU
completely nullifies any advantage of virtual hosting.
I like it: especially for high-availability setups, a very short shutdown of 20 seconds at a scheduled time to get an absolutely reliable, absolutely complete backup is extremely valuable.

Installing backup software isn't too painful, but it's often an unnecessary management pain in the ass. Being able to do it all from Dom0 would be sweet.