Re: [Xen-users] Installing Xen

To: "Formoso, Travis" <Travis.Formoso@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Installing Xen
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:46:13 +0000
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:50:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 02:35:18PM -0500, Formoso, Travis wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> New to the mailing list and my first questions.
>

> I am trying to set up Xen and having a tough time. I have Fedora Core 6
> setup and installing a xen machine. Installing the Xen Kernel went well
> however when I try to install through virt-install I get this error
> message.

This message is useless without knowing what arguments you supplied
to virt-install. Can you either show your command line, or give a
copy of the answers you supplied to each question prompt.

> On the otherhand when I install through virt-manager ? it gets to the
> fedora core setup, however it stops at certain points in the install.

virt-install & virt-maanger use the same underlying  libraries to kick
off the install process. So the fact that it worked in virt-manager suggests
a mistake in the info supplied to virt-install.

> I am running a old box ? p3 256 mb of ram- however I set the dom-0 min
> memory to 64 and have Domain-0 memory at 100 and run the virt xen at 128
> when installing. I am installing from my own nfs server which is mounted
> and working properly.

That is rather unlikely to work I'm afraid - Fedora Core 6 requires 256 MB
minimum if you want to do an Anaconda based install. Since you only have
256 MB in the host itself, I doubt you'll be able to allocate enough
RAM to the guest to complete the install successfully.  512 MB is a realistic
minimum for usefully running Xen - 1 GB is recommended.

Regards,
Dan.