RE: [Xen-users] Tracking DomU memory

To: Security Initiative Team <passrete@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Tracking DomU memory
From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:19:20 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:19:43 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9 Jan 2007 at 17:41, Security Initiative Team wrote:

> Is it possible for the "root" user of a guest domain to
> update the "text" section of a user-level process in that guest domain?
>
> The text section is mapped as read-only,
> but is the "root" user privileged enough  to be able to
> update the page-table entry (which will go through Xen)
> to make it a writable mapping and then update it?

Considering multiple CPUs this is an interesing concept just like
self-modifying
code...

Only a few things prevent root from writing to /dev/mem, commonsense is one of
those, but you can read paswords from it, just as you can patch code (AFAIK).

Still: Why whould one want to do so?

Ulrich