[Xen-users] Re: usage of the extra parameter in vm configs

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: usage of the extra parameter in vm configs
From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:16:41 -0500
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 01:35:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:
I have to feel that the current setup is easier to read for infrequent
users. And it makes support of new users easier, you can just tell them
to set on value they can understand, and avoid 'where on the extras
line?" questions.

Indeed.

And if you have to ask the value of one part of a command line, users
can find the answer more easily if they're not familiar with the
possibilities. It even makes comparing setups easier, tools like "diff"
will isolate only what you have changed.

Being unambiguous reassures timid users.

Also true...

I do wonder if the correct fix in the longer term would be to deal only in "cmdline" internally but to add a "user friendliness" layer on the top which will take individual parameters and use them to build the correct sort of command line for the particular guest you're running... Either a "wizard" of some sort, or something in the tools.
A good idea. I would think it *might* hide some grotty details, particularly if something changes.
In the meantime, I don't know... We should document the use of the extra= parameter a bit better. Maybe we could also introduce a new "cmdline" variable so that folks don't get confused between the two styles of setting up a VM...

More documentation is almost always a good idea.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc