[Xen-users] simulate slower virtual hosts?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] simulate slower virtual hosts?
From: Frank Doelitzscher <mailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 22:18:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:18:15 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everybody,

I experimented with xen a while and for a project I wanted to simulate slower
maschines than my real host.

I read in the xen manual the command:

xm sched-credit -d <domId> -w <weight>

After failing with that, I read a post on this mailing list which gives me the
following command:

xm sched-sedf <domId> -e 0 -w <weight>

Okay, so I have a 2000MHz Maschine and 1 domU, which should run only with 600
MHz, so i calculated 1/2000*600 = 0.3

In fact that <weight> must be between 1 and 65535 i multilplied it with 10 and
set:

xm sched-sedf 0 -e 0 -w 10
xm sched-sedf 0 -e 1 -w 3

I tested the whole thing with an apache benchmark which benchmarked the apache
running on my virtual host from an extra laptop, but the result was negative.
The virtual host was as fast as with no weight configured.

I want to know if xen gives me the possibility to run my virtuel hosts with
less MHz than my real host at all? And when it does, how? Have I made a
mistake?

With best regards,

Frank