Re: [Xen-users] Linux Traffic Shaping concept for Xen

To: tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Linux Traffic Shaping concept for Xen
From: Timo Benk <timo.benk@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:00:56 +0100
Cc: Ligesh <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 02:00:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Post wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 10:23 +0100, Timo Benk wrote:
>> Ligesh wrote:
>>>   Btw, I would prefer a simplified version, just to limit the incoming and
>>> outgoing traffics. Nothing else.
>> :-) Well, shaping in- and outgoing traffic is not simple with Xen and tc :-)
>>
>> I will share the idea, explaining the whole setup is far beyond a
>> single posting.
>
> Would be a small book, actually :)
Indeed :-)

> And a handy place to stick SNORT and others. I've tried this kind of
> setup but it's been 'choppy' at best. I'm also rather new to ebtables,
> I'm assuming you would use ebtables to craft this, do you have some
> scripts that you'd like to share?
why choppy? It works on my side. BTW, no ebtables is needed to achieve
traffic shaping. You can stick your tc rules inside Dom0 at the
vif-Interfaces of the gateway domain. It is nothing more than tc-magic;-)

Greetings,
-timo
--
Timo Benk - Jabber ID: fry@xxxxxxxxxxxx - ICQ ID: #414944731