[Xen-users] Success with jailtime.org image

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Success with jailtime.org image
From: Jim Lynch <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:49:20 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 07:49:16 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I wanted to document the steps I used to get a guest image from
jailtime.org running to perhaps help others.  The documentation is a bit
sparse on that site.

I'm running a SuSE 10.2 install with the default XEN kernel.  I already
was able to get a Centos 4.4 guest running by installing a clean copy of
Centos 4.4 on a separate partition and installing the 3.0.2 sources.  I
then was able to boot SuSE and use the xen kernel to get a guest Centos
system running.  I was never able to get the 3.0.3 sources to work.
They never could find my hard drive.  Even at that, I could never get
Centos to boot the dom0 kernel successfully.  About the time udev
started, the display went blank.  It was actually running, since I could
ssh into it, but nothing I tried could ever get the display to work.
But I did generate a guest kernel that runs as a SuSE guest, and that
was all I really cared about.

I wanted also to have Debian available so I decided to try one of the
images on jailtime.org.  I went to
http://www.jailtime.org/download:debian:v3.1 and downloaded the image.

After extracting the files from the tar file, I mounted the image with
mount -o loop /spare/xen/debian.3-1.img /mnt/loop
Since there were no kernels in this image, I tried a plain xen kernel
from the SuSE set plus I copied the /lib/modules/??? files to the
image.  That didn't work.  I then compiled my own kernel from the 3.0.3
sources (on SuSE) and copied
~/xen-3.0.3_0-src/dist/install/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.29-xenU kernel to the
/boot directory on the image (after mounting once again that is).

I'm now happily running SuSE 10.1 ,Debian Sarge and Centos 4.4 on the
same system.

A warning to anyone that is thinking about buying a motherboard with an
new dual core Intel processor to test the VT mode.  The Intel chip comes
with VT turned off and you have to have a bios option to turn it on.
The ECS, Elite Group P4M800PRO-M Version 2 does not have the bios
option.  I asked ECS support about it and they said it wasn't there but
they wouldn't tell me if it ever would be there. I installed the latest
firmware but that didn't help. So DON'T buy this motherboard if you ever
want to exercize the VT capabilities of the chip.  For the record, I
have the Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz.

Jim.