Re: [Xen-users] 64-bit xen dell server experience?

To: tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 64-bit xen dell server experience?
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 20:05:38 +0000
Cc: John Shen <John.Shen@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:05:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Post wrote:
I really *really* prefer and recommend AMD, my favorite board maker is
Tyan, if this helps at all.
I love AMD as well, for all sorts of uses. Tyan, however, lies prodigiously about the capabilities of new motherboards, breaks previously working capabilities, and is unwilling to address them in BIOS or hardware updates in a timely fashion. I consider them to be vaporware vendors, incapable of doing their own Q/A and relying on low end hardware customers to do it for them.

Never again.

My AMD boxes (xen) are nearing 1 year up time in some cases.. (older
versions of Xen so this may not apply to you), my Intel boxes need
rebooting for various reasons about every 3 months (all versions). My
SQL heavy (or any other I/O intense guest) are much happier on our
Opterons.
Cool. Which Xen and OS's are you using on them? I've had nightmares iwth Tyan's chipset of the microsecond, changed without notification or alteration of the datasheets, for on-board SATA.

We're playing heavily with the new X2's with fantastic, stable,
predictable results with various HVM guests, and AMD is very active on
this list, which I think is really neat.

I'm not saying one is better than the other.. I'm just saying I've had
far less headaches with AMD. I don't use any processor to its full
capabilities so I'm not nearly an authority.. but my clusters rely on
AMD, some of them 150 + nodes now.
Hope this is of some help in making your decision.

Best,
Tim
Cool. Please post which versions you're using of tools.