Re: [Xen-users] howto give DomU the pcmcia wlan card from Dom0 ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] howto give DomU the pcmcia wlan card from Dom0 ?
From: Peter Fokkinga <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:41:56 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:41:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting harm <harmweites@xxxxxxxxx>:
my goal is to make one of my DomU's act as a wireless accesspoint... So, i
need it to have access to the pcmcia wlan card attached to dom0. But how ?
when i give the pci=[] option to the domU config file its shows up with
lspci but i cant use it... (on debian with module-assistent get rt2x00 in de
DomU)

I had a rt2500 card (PCI version) running for a while in a Ubuntu domU.
As an accesspoint it would only work in ad-hoc mode with WEP though (no
managed mode, no WPA).

I'm not familiar with module-assistent, I build my dom0/domU kernels
from source, with the rt2500 driver from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/

Did you exclude the pci device from dom0, in other words, do you have
"pciback.hide=(pci number)" in your /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Also, what _exactly_ doesn't work? When you execute `modprobe rt2500`,
what does it say (on screen and/or in /var/log/syslog)?

Basically, from your description the problem could be in:
 1. Xen not properly exporting the PCMCIA device
 2. something wrong with the kernel module in domU
 3. improper configuration of the card in /etc/Wireless/RT2500STA

Regards, Peter