Re: [Xen-users] Using pygrub

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 05:55:24PM +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:

> Never used that myself yet, but because I know Fedora uses them when
> setting up a vm with virt-install/ virt-manager, I looked at my fedora
> test system.
> There, when I set init=/bin/sh I am thrown into /bin/sh as wanted.

  Right that is good to know.

  If from dom0 I call the pygrub program manually I see output which
 suggests things are working:

root@mine:~# /usr/bin/pygrub /dev/mine/trial.my.flat-disk

Going to boot Xen 3.0 default
  kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.33-xen
  initrd: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16.33-xen

linux (kernel /var/run/xend/boot/boot_kernel.7juE6P)
      (ramdisk /var/run/xend/boot/boot_ramdisk.3tfTUo)
      (args 'init=/bin/sh root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0')

  So the arguments have been read and contain my "init" string.

  However the system boots with no mention of that, and if I run
 "cat /proc/cmdline" in domU I don't see that string at all.

> Are you sure you edited the menu.lst *inside* the domU and point the
> bootloader correctly to this?

  Yes.  (Well I certainly edited the menu.lst file in domU, but I didn't
 point anything else anywhere - except to add the kernel  + initrd files
 inside the domU and add the 'bootloader' setting to the Xen config.)

> Or, maybe you did not uncomment a kernel= and root= line in the vm
> config file and this one is used instead? Do you see a grub boot
> menu when starting the domain?

  My complete domU configuration file is:

--
bootloader = '/usr/bin/pygrub'
disk       = [ 'phy:mine/trial.my.flat-disk,sda1,w',

  Which looks valid to me ..

Steve