Re: [Xen-users] OpenBSD 4.0 HVM guest

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 18:44 +0000, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Luca,

Hi Steve,

> I got as far through the install process as setting up the NIC, at which point
> it seemed that no packets were being received by the OpenBSD DomU because it
> couldn't get an IP address via DHCP.  Did you set up a NIC in OpenBSD during
> the installation or afterward?

I think I installed from CD, but I did setup the NIC successfully during
the installation process IIRC.

> Could you post your xen config file for the VM so that I can compare it
> to mine
> please?

Sure, just let me get back to the office and power on my test machine ;D
I turned the beast off the last work day, and I'm off until January the
8th. I'll post the configuration as soon as I get back to work.

Anyway it is a quite plain HVM config. I specified hvmloader, 1 vcpu, no
pae/apic/acpi, a disk image generated with dd as physical IDE disk ( I
think I had problems with SCSI detection), for the NIC I used ioemu and
specified ne2k_pci as NIC model (detected as ne3 in OpenBSD) as IIRC.

I installed the i386 OpenBSD 4.0 port from CD (tried amd64 without
success), checked out the full -stable source via CVS and rebuilt
kernel/userspace. No particular issue encountered, apart from a strange
detection problem with the NIC which at same point was recognized as re
(4) instead of ne (4). But I think this was caused by me tampering with
the configuration file of the HVM guest.

>   Also, could you tell us the hardware and the distribution that your
> Dom0 is running on?

Debian Etch 2.6.18 / Xen 3.0.3 on HP DL360 G5 ( Xeon Dual Core 2.0Ghz /
6GB RAM ).

HTH,

Luca