Xen + Etch in 3 steps .. [WAS: Re: [Xen-users] New to xen, difficulty ge

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Xen + Etch in 3 steps .. [WAS: Re: [Xen-users] New to xen, difficulty getting network going]
From: Andrew McGregor <andy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:32:20 +0000
Cc: Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 05:30:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-12/msg00142.html

If networking is the only problem then try Simon's method. If you also have problems running multiple DomU's and disabling hyperthreading doesn't work then the above solved both issues for me for me.

Frank Van Damme wrote:
On 12/20/06, Andrew McGregor <andy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Frank Van Damme wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am future-proofing myself and learning the ways of Xen. I spent
> roughly a working day reading documentation and setting up a test
> system and got as far as being able to boot Mandriva 2006 as domU with
> Debian Etch as Dom0.
>
> However, networking is still a little difficult. I can't get the
> network in domU to work. I ploughed through XenNetworking on the
> xensource wiki, which states that Xen should automatically connect
> vifN.X to ethX in domN. I use:
>
> vif=['mac=']
>
> in my config file. The error I get when I do "xm create -c
> mandriva2006" is:
>
> Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.
>
> My dom0 has the normal lo and eth0 interfaces...

I used to get this .. from memory there are some networking scripts
under /etc and one of those had to be started/restarted. You might then
run into further problems with Etch, someone recently posted a 4 step
plan to working with Etch, but using Xen from unstable.  So long as you
remember the final step of copying kernel modules to the DomU it works
very well!

Searched for that 4-step plan but did not find it. My problem may be
related to the fact that Debian does not run the bridging scripts by
default when starting xend. So I'm going to enable that and see what
it says. Also, I'll read those scripts. I suspect that there's a lot
to be learned from them.