Re: [Xen-users] Xen/Windows on AMD; use of PCI / USB

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen/Windows on AMD; use of PCI / USB
From: Andreas Fromm <afromm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:10:28 +0100 (MET)
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 03:10:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
gw wrote:
Petersson, Mats schrieb:
But my question was NOT for HVM-Domains but for the use of Windows.

Is HVM the only way for the use of Windows with XEN?

Yes.
Does each PCI-device need IOMMU-implementation for support?
Yes, at least to have it virtualized.
Does this mean, I need for each part of hardware a Xen-enabled driver?
as above.

Without the use / access of hardware I don't recognize much need for the
use of windows in general (and I hardly understand that kind of people,
who consider the running of a windows-server: why should I do that, if
I'm having linux?)
Because there is software out there that is requierd by some people that
just runs on windows. There are servers for a lot more services then web
and email service. On the other side, there is a lot of software that
doesn't need any special hardware to run (MS Office, ....) and which is
in heavy use.
Is there anywhere an explanation about what kind of options are in reach
, when using Windows on XEN - and don't want to know the capabilities of
IOMMU or HVM, but just the combo of XEN and Windows (and maybe AMD) with
any kind of technology or software-implementation, that's current or in
the near future available.

If you don't want to know about the capabillities of HVM, you most
likely don't need xen at all. Otherwise, there are lots of descriptions
on the net where you can learn about how xen works. You can start with
the documentation of xen, brows the list archive or just google around.
Wikipedia should have a usefull article too.

Regards

Andreas