Re: [Xen-users] NAT and Windows?

To: Ryan Worsley <R.C.Worsley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] NAT and Windows?
From: Hugo Mills <hugo-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:07:46 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:44:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:33:09PM +0000, Ryan Worsley wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Has anyone got xen NAT and a windows guest setup correctly?  If so could
> I have a look at your config file?  If it's not possible could someone
> tell me how it should be done!

   Yes, I have. The secret isn't really in the config files,
unfortunately. A quick run-down to what I do:

 - Modify network-route to add the following line:

 - Configure xend to use vif-route and network-route as the networking
scripts. (and restart xend to pick up the new configuration)

 - Then bring up your domU, and -- the main problem -- fix the network
configuration in the dom0 by taking down the unused vif interface, and
configuring the tap interface instead:

   ifconfig vif1.0 down
   ifconfig tap0 10.16.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

   Your network configuration and devices may be different -- tweak as
appropriate. Note that the IP address on tap0 should be in the same
network as the domU machine. I use 10.16.0.1 for the tap0 device, and
10.16.0.2 for the domU's network configuration.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
                      --- vi: The core of evil. ---