RE: [Xen-users] drbd on lvm

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] drbd on lvm
From: "Robert Hatch" <robert.hatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:29:49 -0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:30:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, I may have completely missed you point, so forgive me if that is the
case.

I was just wondering why you want to put drbd on top of LVM. 6 months
ago I build a similar 2 node storage system.  To avoid a purely
active/passive arrangement I partitioned the storage space in each
machine into 2. Then I created two drbd devices which mirror each half
onto the other node.

On each drbd device I then created a LVM system (different names) set
the LVM filters so that they are oblivious to the underlying block
device and made my own lvm start-up script that starts and stops
specific LVM resources.

By default each node has primary ownership of one of the halves and can
mount the LVM system on it.  In the event of a failure you can take
ownership of the other machine's drbd device and initiate the LVM system
on it.  I was using internal journaling or what ever the term is for
where the drbd data is stored within the partition reducing its size
slightly.

I am not sure if this provides the degree of control you are after but
it certainly works and massively reduces the number of drbd device you
will need.  It also gives you a clear upgrade path to using HA methods
and implementing an iscsi SAN.

Regards

Rob