4GB byte count overflow hangs networking (was Re: [Xen-users] domUs drop

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 4GB byte count overflow hangs networking (was Re: [Xen-users] domUs dropping off the network (Xen 3.0.2))
From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:48:23 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 02:48:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 03:57:10PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've recently started seeing several domUs on multiple machines losing
> all network connectivity. At least one of these machines (since they are
> customer machines I can't verify it for all of them) give the error:
>
> $ sudo ifup eth0
> eth0: full queue wasn't stopped!

To follow up on this post: the problem happens when the number of bytes
received by the vif on the dom0 side (and therefore transmitted by the
domU) hits 4GB (or within a few kB thereof).

In tests I have verified this against a Xen 3.0.2 system (although it
doesn't always manifest, so perhaps there are other factors in place
too), and have also verified that with Xen 3.0.3 it seems to happen less
often.

Cheers,

Dominic.