[Xen-users] Re: VT not recognized on Intel Xeon 5130

To: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: VT not recognized on Intel Xeon 5130
From: Ralph Gauges <ralph.gauges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:23:12 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 02:17:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi again,

it took me a while to resetup the whole machine since the integrated network interfaces are not supported in kernel 2.6.16. But now the whole thing is up again, but it still shows the same problem. Xen is basically telling me that the CPU does not support VT or that it is not enabled in the BIOS. But I did enable it in the BIOS and /proc/cpuinfo show that the vmx feature is present in all four CPUs. I am somewhat puzzled since it works on my Core2 Duo at home without problems.

Maybe someone else has had similar problems and can point me to where I did something wrong. Thanks a lot

Ralph

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Ralph Gauges wrote:
Hi,

I am currently trying to create a DomU to run an unmodified Linux Distro Installer from CD. So far I have managed to get Xen 3.0.3 running on Debian Etch and I have created a configuration to run the installer in a new virtual machine. Now whenever I try to create the virtual machine with "xm create" I get the following error message:

Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and enabled in your BIOS?

OK. This error message is rather obvious and actually the first time it was right, VT was disabled in the BIOS, so I went and enabled VT in the BIOS, but still when I try to create the virtual machine I get this error message. Can anybody give me some hint as to why Xen will not recognize VT support? Do I have to recompile xen after enabling VT in the BIOS? Or is the Xeon 5130 just not supported in Xen 3.0.3 yet?

Could you post /proc/cpuinfo and the ACPI lines of dmesg?