RE: [Xen-users] XEN 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: Dom0 reboot

To: "PUCCETTI Armand" <armand.puccetti@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XEN 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: Dom0 reboot
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:05:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:08:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not very easy from that description - it could be just about anything -
the next thing that happens is that the actual linux kernel is loaded,
which may have something to do with the "crash".

If you have the ability to use serial port and a second machine to log
the serial output, that would help a whole lot.

I'm a little bit concerned that your initrd is commented out - have you
disabled modules in the 2.6.16.29-xen kernel? If not, then you're most
likely going to fail on boot because the drivers for your SCSI/SATA
(sda?) aren't available.

Likewise, you may need to modify the configuration to add the SCSI/SATA
drivers necessary for your hardware - check that the right drivers are
there (lsmod on a working configuration may help figuring out which
drivers you need, for example).

> Curiously, the first compilation of XEN downloads kernel
> 2.6.16.29 and
> not 2.6.17.10 which is actually
> running on the host machine! Can that be configured? maybe using an
> option as KERNEL="2.6.17*" ?

The Xen source code contains a specification of which kernel to use, in
this case 2.6.16.29. To use a different kernel, you'll need to specify
which kernel you want, but also, you're not guaranteed that the patches
for the kernel will work without problems with a different kernel - it
may, but it's also possible that it doesn't.

I think you'll need to specify the EXACT kernel version from
www.kernel.org that you want to download, no wildcards would be
allowed...

--
Mats