Re: [Xen-users] HVM success reports required for wiki

To: xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM success reports required for wiki
From: matt <xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:43:48 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 03:47:36 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andreas Fromm wrote:
matt wrote:
Strange, I'm on my 3rd machine based on the M2NPV-MX and not a single HVM issue that wasn't of my own making (like I hadn't installed all dependencies prior to compiling)

I've only got one of the machines in my possession still so here goes with its vital statistics:

BIOS                0303
Board revision (not too sure but here's the part number 90-MIB0J0-G0EAYZ)
cpu                    AMD 3200 (AM2)
Dom0 Distro      Ubuntu 6.06 (standard desktop install)
Xen version        3.0.2-2 (from both source and binaries)
DomUs OK       WinXPpro / Win2K / IPCOP (2.4 kernel)
DomU fail Win98se (but I didn't exactly make a concerted effort on this)

I didn't have to do anything clever to make it work beyond doing the dependencies and running the installer.

matt
Oh, thats nice to hear that the Board does work in principle. Maybe it's just a problem of the bios then. I had to install the 0502 (current version) to be able to access my SATA hard disk. I already thought of that possibility, but I couldn't downgrade the bios.

Could you post the relevant data of the config.file for your hvm-domains (XP and IPcop) to try with exact the same parameters, please?

BTW. Does the frequency scaling work on your System? I know that it won't Work under XEN, but it doesn't work with a normal Kernel either on my System.

Regards

Andreas

Actually I just nuked my whole OS with Xen 3.0.2 and restarted with 3.0.3 so I don't have the config files for XP any more but I didn't do anything clever in them. Now I'm on 3.0.3 I don't seem to be able to get XP to run (it crashes the domain at the "Starting Windows" part of the installer, but I haven't spent much time on this)

I have got HVMs of Ubuntu and IPCOP working though. The config files for them are just the example HVM config with the name and disc sections changed.

By frequency scaling do you mean Cool and Quiet? To be honest I've never even thought to look since I generally run folding at home which defeats its purpose.

matt