Re: [Xen-users] Dell PE2850 Networking Problem

To: Simon.Croak@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dell PE2850 Networking Problem
From: Michael Froh <michael.froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:26:45 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:01:35 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Simon Croak" <Simon.Croak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: November 23, 2006 9:48:44 AM EST (CA)
Subject: [Xen-users] Dell PE2850 Networking Problem

The background bit..

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 server on which I am trying to install XEN 3.0.3

The server has 2 built in gigabit Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet cards. (Using the bnx2 module)

Simon.  I have just spent 2 weeks resolving this issue with a new Dell PowerEdge 2900, with much frustration.  It turns out that the problem is with the IPMI management firmware in the Broadcom nics on the motherboard.    The following wiki page from NCSA described how to disable the management firmware which solved my problem (the 2900 has the same nics).  However, you forgo the ability to use IPMI using the on-board NICS, which is acceptable in my configuration.  With the management firmware enabled, the bridge (xenbr0) passes no traffic.

Apparently Dell will have a firmware fix sometime early 2007 as noted here:

It took a lot of digging to find this and I didn't hit it until I googled using "poweredge xen" in the search.

Hope this helps,
Mike.