Re: [Xen-users] Cannot connect to VNC

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Cannot connect to VNC
From: Morten Christensen <mc-xen@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:34:29 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:35:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
oz skrev den 20-11-2006 22:48:
Morten Christensen wrote:
oz skrev den 20-11-2006 20:46:
Morten Christensen wrote:
I try to install Windows XP on an AM2-box with Debian unstable and Xen 3.0.3.

I can get the XP-install to start but cannot find any way to see the domU-display with vnc.

If I have a domU.cfg of:

sdl = 1
vnc = 0
vncviewer = 0
stdvga = 1

then I get a sdl-window on the dom0-window.

If I have a domU.cfg of:

sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncviewer = 0
stdvga = 1

nothing happens when I try to connect with a vncviewer. I have tried all combinations I can image, mostly "ip.of.my.dom0:domU_id" . From dom0, nothing happens. From a windows-box I an told, that vnc cannot connect io server.

From the windows-box I can vnc to dom0 with "ip.of.my.dom0" , and from dom0 I can vnc to the windows-box.

I have googled without luck. Where can I find some background-material or FAQ about Xen and VNC ?

Hi,
maybe missing "vncviewer = 1"?

Maybe it is a help for you to see a working config from my domU on Debian/unstable:

device_model = '/usr/lib/xen-3.0.3-1/bin/qemu-dm'
sdl=0
# enable VNC library for graphics, default = 1
vnc=1
# enable spawning vncviewer(only valid when vnc=1), default = 1
vncviewer=1
# no graphics, use serial port
#nographic=0
# enable stdvga, default = 0 (use cirrus logic device model)
stdvga=0
#    start in full screen
#full-screen=1

When I changed my config to
vncviewer = 1
stdvga = 0

I got one step further. Now I can make a vnc-session from dom0 with 0.0.0.0:1. It has to be :1 though the ID in xm list is 6 (probably because I only have one domU running).

I have not had any success in connecting from the windows-box after trying all combinations I can imagine. On the other hand, the install of XP is just at the beginning, and the dom0 does not have any networking.

It's not clear, what you're doing exactly; are you running "vncviewer 0.0.0.0:1"? Then :1 is the display number and not your vm-id. Look at the output of "$ env" and a line like DISPLAY=:0.0 (then :0 is the display number of your desktop-owner).
Does VNC always connect to the display-number and not to the vm-id ?

--
Morten Christensen