[Xen-users] XEN sound emulation locks device exclusively

To: <debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] XEN sound emulation locks device exclusively
From: "Csillag, Kristof \(GE Healthcare, consultant\)" <Kristof.Csillag@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:58:13 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 04:44:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there!

My problem is the following:

I am experimenting with virtualization with XEN.

I am running WinXP in a HVM host with a Debian Gnu/Linux (Etch) dom0.

I am also using audio emulation (sb16). This way, sounds from WinXP work fine.

And here comes the problem:

The HVM guest completely reserves the audio device; other software can not use
it.

(mplayer says this:

alsa-init: using ALSA 1.0.13
alsa-init: setup for 1/2 channel(s)
alsa-init: using device default
alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1248:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device
or resource busy
alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
alsa-init: playback open error: Device or resource busy

)

This should not be like this; with alsa (including the dmix plugin)
working fine on my system, different sounds sources could be mixed painlessly.

The problem seems to be that the HVM guest does not use the device
via the default device (which should go via the DMIX system), but directly.

How can this be fixed?

And where can I find more documentation about XEN audio emulation?

Thank you for your help:

      Kristof Csillag