[Xen-users] Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
From: oz <oz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:38:30 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 03:39:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm doing my first steps with Xen and have my first domU up now (Debian/sid under Debian/sid).

The main problem I had, was to bring up the graphical desktop of the guest with vnc4server. The solution was simple - but not easy to find for me - so let me share it:

Whenever I tried to login on xdm or gdm via xvnc4viewer coming from dom0, I found errors in .xsession-errors of the login-user:

The solution was to delete the .Xauthority file in the home-dir of the login-user (... but don't ask me why, I only came to this idea by heavy googling). -

Being my first contact with Xen, I missed a general abstract, how the xen components are "glued" together. I mean something rudimental like this example, which reflects my first xen setup:

* Boot a xen host system with grub using the Package xen-hypervisor-3.0-unstable-1-i386:
/boot/grub/menu.lst
title  Debian xen-3.0, kernel 2.6.18-1-xen-686 /dev/sda10
root (hd0,9)
kernel /boot/xen-3.0-unstable-1-i386.gz
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1-xen-686 root=/dev/sda10 ro console=tty0
module /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-1-xen-686

* Prepare the host for networking with a new guest, for example set (network-script network-bridge) and deactivate (network-script network-dummy) in Debian's default /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.

* Create the guest system with xen-tools and xen-linux-system-2.6.18-1-xen-686. With xen-tools a basic guest distribution can be downloaded and an installed using the option debootstrap. Let the guest be installed in one big file like disk.img and a swap file swap.img for example. Use dhcp for convenience doing all the eth-settings (when you have your own a dhcp-server). The kernel, you boot your guest with, has to reside in your host filesystem, for example:
kernel  = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1-xen-686'
ramdisk = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-1-xen-686'

* Start your new guest machine with "console connected", so you can watch the boot messages:
# xm create myguest.cfg -c

* Install a virtual xserver like the vnc4server Debian-Package, if you like to see a graphical desktop of your guest in a host-window. For graphical authorisation use a display-manager like xdm or gdm and a small window-manager like icewm or icewm-experimental. Example configs can be:
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
##:0 local /usr/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
:0 local /usr/bin/Xvnc -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd
or
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf
[servers]
0=VNC
[server-VNC]
name=VNC server
command=/usr/bin/Xvnc -geometry 800x600 -depth 24 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd
flexible=true

The /root/.vnc/passwd for granting access to the VNC-Server can be created with vnc4passwd.

* Access the desktop of your new virtual machine via network with
xvnc4viewer <guest IP>

Hope it helps some xen-newbies like me,
Oliver

(Thanks to all those great minds developing Xen!)