[Xen-users] Re: DomU guest - resize disk on LVM?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: DomU guest - resize disk on LVM?
From: Robin Bowes <robin-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:04:12 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:57:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HAWKER, Dan wrote:

> Although I use FC4/5, like Steve, I don't personally use xenguest-install.py
> either. However am pretty sure kickstart can do these kinds of things. By
> default, it maps things out *fresh* but IIRC the *partition* argument in a
> kickstart file can be told to use an existing partition/disk, which coupled
> with your kickstart layout, should make it work.
>
> Eg partition /var --onpart=/dev/sda2     or something like that.

I don't have a problem with the kickstart part of the setup. I can
modify the kickstart config file to use all the disks I can throw at it!

> Your only problem will be automating the creation of the xen config script,
> which is part of what the xenguest-install.py does. I presume with some
> hacking it could be made to work (by someone with better than my
> non-existent Python skills :).

I've looked at it, and, to someone with similar Python skills to
yourself, it's not easy.

> Just a thought, does the --file really *mean* a file, or is it just a string
> that is parsed by xenguest-install.py and fed into the DomU config file???
> If the latter, could you simply use --file="[
> 'phy:/dev/vg01/lv_guest1_root,sda1,w'.....]" or similar. Maybe the
> *extra-args* parameter can have disk=[ 'phy:/.....] as an argument... Hmmm.

It is semi-intelligent.

It checks the file type of the file specified. If it's "phy" it adds a
line like this to the config file:

disk = [ '%(disktype)s:%(disk)s,xvda,w' ]

I'd be happy creating a config file manually if I knew how to launch the
 install process, i.e. start the kickstart install using the host specified.

I'd also like to know how to boot a guest DomU from an ISO image, e.g. a
recovery disk so I can resize filesystems.

Any idea how to do either of these things?

R.