Re: [Xen-users] Q: CPU usage in Dom0

On Friday, 27 October 2006 14:29:11 +0100,
Emmanuel Ackaouy wrote:

> People have talked about different things in this thread so
> I thought I should clarify the options available to set CPU
> affinity to various VCPUs for both dom0 and domUs:

Thanks for the explanation.

> The config file variable "cpus" defines a cpu affinity mask
> which applies to all VCPUs of a domain. So all VCPUs for that
> domain will be assigned the same CPU mask.

> I suggest you have at least as many CPUs set in the mask as
> you have VCPUs.

Yes. I did it. Is there some manner to setting the vcpus for the dom0?

> You can also set this per VCPU after a domU has started using
> the "xm vcpu-pin" command.

If it cannot be automatized in boot time, then a script could perform
this work:

xenhost1:~# cat vcpu-pin
#!/bin/sh
echo -n "Pinning domUs..."
/usr/sbin/xm vcpu-pin 1 0 0
/usr/sbin/xm vcpu-pin 1 1 3
echo "done."

xenhost1:~# update-rc.d vcpu-pin start 40 S

> In 3.0.3 and unstable, you can use vcpu-pin on dom0 as well.
> Also in 3.0.3 and unstable, you can use the Xen boot argument
> "dom0_vcpus_pin" to pin VCPU N or dom0 on physical CPU N.

Interesting... but I'm not sure if I have understood the difference
between the vcpu-pin use for the dom0 and dom0_vcpu_pin boot argument.
do they produce the same result but dom0_vcpus_pin is a Grub argument?

Regards,
Daniel
--
Daniel Bareiro - System Administrator
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37