RE: [Xen-users] Re: Custom DomU kernel

Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: Custom DomU kernel
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:42:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:46:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: 24 October 2006 15:05
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply - what would a lot of hard work imply? Having this configuration and the RHAS image running was quite a lot of hard work as well, so I'm not scared :)

Figuring out how to apply the patches developed by Xen for 2.6 onto a 2.4 kernel, and fix any problems that arise from the fact that the 2.4 kernel is different from 2.6, so you may need patches in different places than they are for 2.6. The xen 2.0 hypervisor has patches for Linux 2.4 kernels, so you may be able to get an idea of how it works from that - but the Xen 2.0 hypervisor is different from 3.0 in several aspects, which would mean that the patches need to be different - so if you compare the 3.0 patches for 2.6 and 2.0 patches for 2.6, you'd see how different (and I haven't done this) the patches are for the different Xen versions. Based on that, you should be able to determine what the work needed for 2.4 is... But since there hasn't been any announcement of such a patch being available, I suspect it's not trivial...

--
Mats

Right - sounds like fun. What if I use Xen 2 on my 2.6 kernel in place of Xen 3? Would that even be possible?

I guess that is a possibility - but you'll be missing some of the new features - which of course may be less important if you don't need any of them... :-)

Since I work on HVM, I sort of can't choose - it's 3.0.x that works, and nothing previously...

--
Mats

Quentin.