Re: [Xen-users] VM boots BUT keep throwing: "INIT: Id "X" respawning too

To: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VM boots BUT keep throwing: "INIT: Id "X" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes"
From: Jeffery Fernandez <jeffery@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:53:28 +1000
Cc: "Castillo, Claris" <claris.castillo@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:54:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 21:34 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 17:52 -0700, Castillo, Claris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my setting:
>
> I have a Logical Volume /dev/VG/suse with Suse installed. I have added
> it to the grub and I can boot it and works perfectly fine.
>
> Now I am running /dev/VG/root which is running Xen0. I have created a
> Xen config file to boot a VM with disk: /dev/VG/suse. In other words I
> want to boot
>
> /dev/VG/suse as a virtual machine.
>

> Below is what I am getting at boot time :
>

> done
>
> Setting up the hardware clockmodprobe: FATAL: Could not
> load /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.8-xen/modules.dep: No such file or
> directory
>

> failed
>
> Activating remaining swap-devices in /etc/fstab...
> failed
>
> Setting current sysctl status from /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1
>
> net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
>

> done
>
> Enabling syn flood protection
> done
>
> Disabling IP forwarding
> done
>

>                                                               done
>

> done
>
> System Boot Control: The system has been
> set up
>
> Failed features:
>                                             boot.udev
>
> System Boot Control: Running /etc/init.d/boot.local
> done
>
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
>
> Boot logging started on /dev/tty1(/dev/console) at Fri Jul  7 01:35:48
> 2006
>
> Master Resource Control: previous runlevel: N, switching to runlevel:
> 5
>
> acpid: no ACPI support in kernel
> skipped
>
> FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.8-xen/modules.dep: No
> such file or directory

>                               failed
>
> - could not start AppArmor
> failed
>
> Starting D-BUS daemonUnknown username "haldaemon" in message bus
> configuration file
>

>             failed
>
> Starting syslog services
> done
>
> Starting irqbalance
> unused
>
> Initializing random number generator
> done
>
> Starting resource manager
> done

> failed

> failed
>
> Start Unicode mode
>
> Couldnt open /dev/tty1
> failed

> Couldnt open /dev/tty1
> failed
>
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
>
> Starting HAL daemon
> done
>
> Setting up network interfaces:
>
>     lo
>
>     lo        IP address: 127.0.0.1/8
> done

> [...]
<snip>
I apologize in advance for not reading your entire post but work
deadlines are drawing ever nearer ;)  However, look for a section like
this in your /etc/inittab file:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

I'm guessing that it is having trouble finding tty2 through tty6 but
that is just a guess.  Hopefully someone with more expertise will answer
soon! - John

I am getting similar errors as well while trying to launch my Suse 10.0 vm under SLES 10. Can anyone else shed some light on this issue or how I can debug this problem ?

cheers,
Jeffery