[Xen-users] Re: Q: NUMA and XEN

* Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx> [2006-10-09 17:59]:
> Ryan is currently working on NUMA support.  He can probably give a
> better idea of the sort of things we'll be supporting.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

Thanks for sending this my way, Anthony.

> Ulrich Windl wrote:
> >Hi,

Hello.

> >I have a simple question, that's maybe an FAQ: The XEN hypervisor only
> >reports one zonelist during boot, while a normal kernel will report two
> >for a two-node NUMA machine. Now I'm wondering if I create two VMs with
> >roughly half of the RAM (amount one node has), will XEN be clever or dumb
> >when assigning RAM to those VMs?

Currently no.  Xen doesn't have any NUMA support at the moment.  I've
developed NUMA [1]support for Xen and modified its page allocator to
provide node local memory for guests.  The patchset is awaiting approval
from the Xen guys.  Hopefully, once 3.0.3 is released and xen-unstable
opens back up for new development, the patches will be merged and you
will be able to give the patches a test on your NUMA hardware.

Thanks for the interest.

1. http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-09/msg00958.html

--
Ryan Harper