Re: [Xen-users] Running Xen with Hardware Virtualization under AMD

To: Mathew Brown <mathewbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Running Xen with Hardware Virtualization under AMD
From: Thomas Harold <tgh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 20:43:47 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:44:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mathew Brown wrote:
Hi,
  I just ran across http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/IntelVT which says
  that the "Intel website claims that hardware VT requires processor,
  chipset, bios, and software / OS support".  I was considering
  purchasing an AMD Turion X2 based laptop (yes - I know that Xen
  doesn't currently support ACPI) and was wondering if anyone can shed
  light on what I have to check for to see if the laptop will run Xen
  using hardware virtualization.  Thanks for your help.

It needs to be an AM2 socket CPU. Almost all of the AM2 CPUs support HVM (except the AM2 Sempron CPUs which do not support HVM).

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors