Re: [Xen-users] 16GB limit for PAE?

To: "Shepherd, Darren S" <darren.s.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 16GB limit for PAE?
From: Yura Pismerov <y.pismerov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:28:11 -0400
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:29:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shepherd, Darren S wrote:
> When I boot Xen I see a message saying PAE enabled, limit 16GB.  Does this
> mean that I can't exceed 16GB with PAE.  I'm just about to purchase a machine
> 32GB of memory and I don't wish to go to x86_64.  Will I have a problem?
>

>From my own experience, yes, it is the limitation of 32bit Xen kernels.
You better try to find 64bit kernel binary (Xen patched of course) for
your platform.
I believe the 64bit kernels are available in Xen binary packages.
The only question whether your hardware will like it (hopefully it will,
but you never know).
Otherwise, if you want to build 64bit kernel yourself on existing 32bit
userspace,
you will have to take some additional steps (which I believe are not
very straight forward).
Ideally you should try to re-deploy your system from scratch using 64bit
distro.

> Darren

Yuri Pismerov, System Administrator
Armor Technologies (Canada) Inc.