Re: [Xen-users] contending storage space

To: "Tom Z. Napierala" <tom@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] contending storage space
From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 12:05:06 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 04:05:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/03/06 Tom Z. Napierala wrote:
> What more do you need comparing to your existing solution? It seems
> to be very flexible.

You can't contend space - So each domU needs to have X space commited
just for that domU.  For 20 domU's, each wanting 20 gig, that's 400 gig
of storage, in reality most people will use about 2 gig, so we're look
at about 90% wastage in storage space (about the worse case I imagine).
 I could use CoW with LVM, however that doesn't really solve the problem
of wasted space, as the space still needs partitioning - on top of that
the distro used in the domU could be anything, and will not be
consistant across domUs.

Also, it means people maintaining the domU's need to use a file system
that can grow, and not all support shrinking.  Someone can't just log
into a web panel, request a larger/smaller storage space and have it
'just work'.

In this situation, I wouldn't have root access to the DomU's. The only
solution I can think of is running a large NFS mount with quota
implemented, that domU owners could symlink into their file system where
they need to storage.

Thanks,

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk