Re: [Xen-users] Xen and Dapper

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and Dapper
From: Gregory Gee <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 22:56:04 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:56:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Z24 wrote:
I had some problems with Dapper Drake but never dom0 freezing; I had a
broken dd, some missing or broken packages, a missing hvmloader binary
in Xen 3.0 binaries and a hvmloader makefile issue in Xen 3.0.2
sources; the hvmloader problems were solved compiling Xen testing and
all problems concerning WinXP domU were related to missing sdl
packages or domU configuration.

I was running Xen on a AMD X2 with 2 GB RAM, 1 GB for dom0 and 512 MB
for WinXP domU. I wrote all what I did step by step here:
http://computingart.freehostia.com/index.cgi/linux/Z24.xen3-ubuntu-amd64.html

Where are you trying to install WinXP? To a disk partition, to an
image file? Maybe the partition is already mounted in dom0?

Your instructions look really great and will hopefully trying it out soon. I have a few questions related to the XP install.

1. If I use Ubuntu-server, how do you install XP since there is no window that will popup, since X11 isn't installed on DOM0?

2. How much RAM does DOM0 really need? If all it is going to do is be host for all the DOMU, what is the require minimum?

Thanks,
Greg