Re: [Xen-users] Proposal for a xen-users(/devel?) netiquette

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 11:48 +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:

> I don't think the idea making the list fully moderated, (in my
> understanding meaning only reviewed posts come through), is a good
> idea in general. Unmoderated Mailing lists work fine all over the
> world, so there's no reason the xen-users list should fail.
> It's also not already very bad, but I wanted to make it a bit nicer,
> and mainly help people doing better postings, because some do bad
> postings because they don't know better.
>
> Henning

I agree that a 'fully moderated' list isn't the best idea. Just looking
at the number of posts that have come across the last 2 months its
obvious the lists are getting really busy, and only going to get
busier.

I would think that a few should be the ones to point out the rules and
let them handle moderation when its needed, instead of a poster
receiving a bunch of "RTFR" (R being rules) replies from many. These get
archived in Google quickly as this list is aggregated by a few dozen
list archive sites.

As you pointed out, there is netiquette to follow when pointing out
netiquette.

I've been a faithful subscriber and participant in a great many lists
that started off to be a wonderful resource and just degraded into a
such a fido-net-ish mess of ego and regulations that the list itself
ceased to be of any use.

So given that its highly impractical to make the list fully moderated ..
some 'hall monitors' (perhaps) would probably be prudent. I'm not by any
means volunteering, only suggesting the idea. :)

Best -
Tim