Re: [Xen-users] Avoiding suspension of xen VM at source after migration.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Avoiding suspension of xen VM at source after migration.
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:49:26 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 01:50:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 14 September 2006 23:21, NT_Mail List wrote:
> Xen Developers:

Not a devel myself, but this topic pops up over and over again on the list.

> Today, we can move a VM from point A to point B. The
> VM ends up at point B. After that, all resources are
> reclaimed at point A. Is there a way we that
> after the migration, the VM in A continues to run. We
> end up with two VMs, one in A and one (its clone) in
> B?
>
> I assume that today's Xen doesn't have any feature to
> do this (e.g., xm clone). I wonder however if there is
> a specific place in the Xen code that we can comment
> out to make this trick work (intuitively, the clone
> operation requires less code than the migration).
>
> Do you have any other recommendation/present work that
> can making this cloning possible.

The hard part isn't cloning the xen domU, the hard part is cloning the
filesystems it runs on. Since that is usually a lenghty operation, the way to
go would probably be:
xm save domU.
Copy filesystems, swap, statefile, etc
xm restore domU on host1
xm restore domU on host2

Network filesystems, NBD and the like won't work well as fs for your domU,
since the cloned domU will claim to have the same sockets open, the same IP
and MAC etc.

HTH
/Ernst