Re: [Xen-users] Xen with newer-than-2.6.16.26

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen with newer-than-2.6.16.26
From: "Derek Sherlock" <derek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:20:47 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:49:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Matt,

Any particular reason you can't juse use these packages directly? It seems like the easiest way... Or is the problem that Gentoo doesn't have a RPM-capable tool?

Gentoo may well have an RPM capable tool, I don't know.  I should investigate that alternative too.

If this was me, I would take the current Xen-Unstable (which uses 2.6.16.13), and apply ONLY the patch that fixes the particular problem you're having (ATAPI + SATA).

Problem is there are a _lot_ of patches that affect ATAPI+SATA directly or indirectly, and I don't know which one it is that helps me.  It seems to have been a very volatile area of the kernel, recently.  All I know for sure is that upgrading from 2.6.16 to 2.6.17 fixes it in non-xen kernels.  I guess I'll try to experiment with non-xen kernels one patch at a time until I identify the minimal patch set that fixes the problem, and then apply the same minimal patch set to the xen kernel.

I did find this tho': http://linux-ata.org/software-status.html#atapi  which states that ATAPI is fixed from 2.6.15

That's a different SATA+ATAPI problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Derek.