[Xen-users] network-nat for hvm guests

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] network-nat for hvm guests
From: David Richardson <daverich04@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:04:23 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:05:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey everyone,

Has anyone had any luck running an hvm guest using the NAT networking config scripts?  My setup is as follows:

eth0 is attached to a physical network card.  I'd like to have my domU's on a private subnet, then NAT between the subnet and eth0 to allow domU's to talk to the WAN (ie, exactly what vmware does when you use their NAT setup).

My /etc/xen/xend-config.spx enables the following 2 nat lines instead of the default bridging setup:
(network-script network-nat)
(vif-script 'vif-nat dhcp=yes')

My domU guest's config file (for a Win XP guest) contains, among other config params:
vif = [ 'type=ioemu' ]
dhcp='dhcp'

I've also installed dhcpd, and configured /etc/dhcpd.conf to:
ddns-update-style interim;
# Xen allocated addresses
subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
}

When I create the domU guest, nothing seems to happen; the domU has no state under 'xm list'.  However, if I change the vif config line to vif=[''], the guest boots correctly, dhcpd runs and assigns an ip to vifX.Y, BUT the Windows guest has no network card.

Any ideas how to fix this?  Does network-nat work for hvm guest??  Thanks!

~Dave