[Xen-users] Re: Xen-Kernel for VIA CPU (Gerhard Wendebourg)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen-Kernel for VIA CPU (Gerhard Wendebourg)
From: bigfoot29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:07:44 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:07:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:58:18 +0200
> From: Gerhard Wendebourg <gw@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Xen-users] Xen-Kernel for VIA CPU
> To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hello,
>
> what kind of kernel may be fitting a VIA C3 CPU (600MHZ on Epia mainboard)
> ?
> We tried the 686, but didn't boot.
>
> We're using debian sarge.
> The offered packages include -686 and AMD but no 486, we had otherwise
> running.
>
> thanx for replying
>
> GW

Afaik (based on an early version of Xen 3.0.2) you need at least an
PentiumII based System. If you can't run XEN from an VIA system, then I
suppose that the CPU lacks some of the PII commands that are needed.

Where Xen2 (2.0.7) worked also on a Pentium, Xen3 doesn't even bother to
start. I am not sure if the code can be rewritten to suit your needs, but
I highly doubt it...

But even if you get Xen running on a VIA 600 MHz CPU, I am not so
confident about the DomU speed... I am running here on a Celeron 700 with
2 DomU and even when challenging only one of the DomU's - it has a felt
speed of a Pentium 200 :(

But maybe I am doing something wrong? I welcome people that can bring some
light into this mistery :D

Regards, Bigfoot29