[Xen-users] DMA and Configuration read issues

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] DMA and Configuration read issues
From: "Byrne, Nicholas" <Nicholas.Byrne@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:59:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:00:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

We've deployed Xen 3.0.2-2 successfully on a CentOS 4.3 installation running on
a Dell PE 2950 servers. On a HVM/VMX guest also running CentOS 4.3 with the
configuration below, we see occasional DMA messages in the guests dmesg output,
they don't occur often and for no obvious reason - it seems they normally occur
when the load on the host system is low.

hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
hda: DMA interrupt recovery
hda: lost interrupt

Windows 2003 server guests on the same host system don't appear to have any
problems (at least none are logged), but two Linux guests do, the above one
CentOS and a Fedora core 3 system. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

<Start Config>
import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 256
name = "CentOS4.3_01"
vcpus=1
cpus="1"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/XEN/CentOS4.3_01,ioemu:hda,w' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
#cdrom = '/dev/hda'
boot='c'
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncviewer=1
stdvga=0
serial='pty'
ne2000=0
<End Config>

The second problem we've encountered, which appears not to be listed in the bug
tracker. When any one of these guests is rebooted from inside the guest, some
of the xen guest configuration appears not to be re-read/re-used. For example,
we have noticed this when we have statically allocated the host cpu's each
guest should run on; after a reboot (viewing "xm vcpu-list") the CPU Affinity
changes from the defined one to "any cpu".

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Nick

This e-mail is the property of Quadriga Worldwide Ltd, intended for the
addressee only and confidential.  Any dissemination, copying or distribution of
this message or any attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Messages sent to and from Quadriga may be monitored.

Quadriga cannot guarantee any message delivery method is secure or error-free.
Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or
incomplete, or contain viruses.

We do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in this message
and/or attachment that arise as a result of transmission.

You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

necessarily represent those of Quadriga.