Re: [Xen-users] domUs high memory usage (FC5 -- Xen 3.0.2)

To: dgreen@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domUs high memory usage (FC5 -- Xen 3.0.2)
From: Hans de Hartog <dehartog@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:54:13 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 10:56:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dgreen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Situation:
>
> I start up my domU's (in a console) and they seem to run at ~75MB (out of
> 256MB) of memory.  The only thing I have done on the VMs is to use ping to
> test RTT's.  I come back to the VM's the next day and notice that all of
> them are running ~256MB.  I haven't started any other services.

Hello Vince,

That's a unix filosofy: free memory is a waiste. Therefore, whatever
the memory is used for (buffers, cache, programs) is not freed if
not necessary to do other things. So eventually most of the memory
is in use because if you need something you used before, it is faster
if it is still in memory than to read it from disk again.

Regards,
Hans.