[Xen-users] Black screen when starting VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Black screen when starting VM
From: "Tilo Lutz" <TiloLutz@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:44:30 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 04:53:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

First of all I want to say I'm new to xen so please be patient.

I want to run xen on a PentiumD Dual with Vanderpool.
I use OpenSuse 10.1 as Hostsystem.

VM settings:
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/hda5,ioemu:hda,w' ]
memory = 256
vcpus = 2
builder = 'hvm'
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
kernel = '/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader'
name = 'vm1'
vif = [ 'type=ioemu,mac=00:16:3e:cf:ec:bd,bridge=xenbr0' ]
stdvga = 0
acpi=1
apic=1
sdl = 1
vnc = 0
vncviewer = 0
ne2000 = 0
localtime = 0
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'
boot = 'd'
cdrom = '/dev/hdb'

I use this graphiccard:
05:02.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL (rev 27)
It is an onboard vga with 8MB Ram

I have used both graphic backends, vnc and sdl with the same result.
When I want to install Suse 10.1 in a VM the screen switches to black as
soon syslinux switches into graphic mode.
When I set stdvga=1 the installer starts, but only in text mode.
Windows switches to a black screen before any files are copied.

I have searched to forum but didn't find any hints. What is the problem?

Cheers, Tilo