RE: [Xen-users] What modifications are required for my device driver to

To: "Sweekar Pinto" <sweekarpinto@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] What modifications are required for my device driver to work with xen.
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:59:45 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 03:39:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
First of all, I would think that software raid only makes sense when it's implemented directly to the hardware level - what I mean is that the Guest shouldn't really have to worry about how the data is stored, if it's RAIDed, mirrored, COW'ed or some other technology. [Just like applications on a non-virtual system is completely unaware of those details].

This in turn means that I think as long as your driver works in Dom0 (or DomU when you assign DomU the hardware to support the disk itself) it should be fine. If your driver follows standard working practices for drivers, it should be just a case of compiling it to make this work.

I do agree with your understanding of backend/frontend drivers, but I very much doubt that it would make any sense to implement your driver with that sort of setup...

--
Mats