Re: [Xen-users] Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend de

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.
From: Tracy R Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:16:29 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:18:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tracy R Reed wrote:
And that is all. Just the one cpu. Even though it is a dual core system. The kernel's .config contains:

Ok, this issue is resolved which brings us to a new issue. Turns out my pxeboot config file (named by the mac addy of the machine) contained:

DEFAULT mboot.c32 xen.gz dom0_mem=258048 nosmp noacpi --- vmlinuz-2.6.16.13-xen console=tty0 noreboot root=/de\v/aoe/e0.0 --- initrd-2.6.16.13-xen

So at some point I put (or more likely copied an example with it already there) the nosmp on there.

So now I have two cpu's. And I successfully created a domU and it started executing the CentOS 4.3 initrd for my kickstart install which is great! Might there be some sort of bug involving xen running an smp cpu configured with nosmp? It seemed to hang pretty reliably. I don't have time to explore this further but perhaps I will come back to this later on.

So I did an xm kill temp1 on the domU and got a kernel oops. In the process of attempting to download ksymoops I noticed that the gateway was not set so set the gateway and rebooted the box. Normally I don't reboot just to set the gateway but I had some problems due to local netmask weirdness and just wanted to start all over. When the machine was coming back up it got as far as:

Starting xend: Bridge firewalling registered

And then another solid hang. It now hangs every time the machine boots and tries to start xend. I will try to figure out how to get some more debugging output from it.

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right