Re: [Xen-users] xc_domain_unpause in xc_linux_save

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xc_domain_unpause in xc_linux_save
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:42:01 +0100
Cc: Wesley Emeneker <Wesley.Emeneker@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:41:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I came across a call to "xc_domain_unpause" in "suspend_and_state"
> (which is called by xc_linux_save in xc_linux_save.c), and I don't
> understand why the domain is being unpaused before being saved.
>
> Does it have to do with the context of the VCPUs?
> Is there some voodoo that makes paused domains impossible to save?

Paravirtualised domains co-operating in the suspending process - they have to
create a suspend record.  The domain has to be running, not paused, in order
for saving to work.

This is necessary because paravirtualised domains are aware of the underlying
machine addresses of memory, so there has to be a mechanism for updating them
with the new details when they resume, in case they're in a different part of
memory or on another machine.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.