Re: [Xen-users] Xen and Asterisk/Zapata WORKING!!

To: fearthepenguin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and Asterisk/Zapata WORKING!!
From: Duncan Gibb <dg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Aug 2006 22:30:18 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:31:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 23:56, Jason wrote:

J> thought I would post how I got asterisk playing well
J> in a DomU with an X100P FXO card.

Good to know someone else is also playing with this.  Could you post a
bit more detail about when your Xen snapshot was taken, the config
options and the hardware you're using, please?

I have a 600MHz P-III system on which I want to use a Xen domU to
develop zaptel modules without worrying about bringing down the machine
when I get it wrong.

Using Xen 3.0.2-2 and the standard 2.6.16-xen kernel lightly
reconfigured (1000Hz, serial enabled) almost worked, but the jitter was
so bad voicemails were incomprehensible (even when left by SIP).
Dialling out on an analogue line with a clone wcfxo card worked only
intermittently because the DTMF synthesis broke up towards the end of a
10-digit UK number.

CPU load didn't seem to be the problem, and Googling around suggested a
working RTC might help.  I have therefore rebuilt with the Xen nightly
snapshot from Sunday and 2.6.16.13-xen.  I'm not convinced that the RTC
does actually work (still get IRQ 8 not free sometimes), and wcfxo
frequently reports it can't init the DAA (ie interrupts are probably not
working in the domU).

I've tried both passthrough and vpci pci backend drivers.  And I've
turned on permissive mode after seeing warnings when doing modprobe
wcfxo in the domU.

J> The first thing I did was to give up trying to get the zaptel
J> modules to compile in a DomU.   I never did get that part working.

My solution to this was to copy the linux build tree from the dom0 over
to /usr/src in the domU, along with the xen tree and the
linux-2.6-xen-sparse tree and symlinking as you did.

Cheers

Duncan