[Xen-users] How to automatically set sched-sedf parameters for a Dom-U

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] How to automatically set sched-sedf parameters for a Dom-U
From: "Roger Lucas" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:52:04 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 02:53:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am running Xen-3.0.2 on a standard Kubuntu Dapper Drake installation.  All
is Kubuntu from packages or the Xen binaries - nothing is recompiled from
source.

When I create a Dom-U, I get sched-sedf parameters that are different to the
Dom-0 such as below:

root@hydra:/etc/xen# xm sched-sedf
Name                        ID Period(ms) Slice(ms) Lat(ms) Extra Weight
Domain-0                     0      20.0      15.0     0.0      1      0
harpseal                     1     100.0       0.0     0.0      1      0
octopus                      2     100.0       0.0     0.0      1      0
tarantula                    3     100.0       0.0     0.0      1      0
root@hydra:/etc/xen#

With these parameters, the Dom-Us seem to respond more slowly on their web
servers, etc.  If I change the sedf parameters to "-p 20 -s 15" on the
Dom-Us to match the Dom-0, then the performance suddenly jumps up.

My question is:  How can I set these parameters automatically for a Dom-U ?

I have looked through all the docs on the config files but there are no
references there.  I have also Googled for an answer but with no success.  I
have tried looking through the code, but Python isn't a language that I am
really familiar with (although it does seem relatively easy to read).

Does anyone know how to set these parameters automatically ?

Thanks,

Roger