RE: [Xen-users] Intel VT dom0?

To: "Gabriel Rossetti" <rossettigab@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Intel VT dom0?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:01:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 02:02:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, this doesn't work: Dom0 (at the moment anyways) has to be
para-virtualized, since it's the domain that has access to the hardware,
and something needs to have REAL hardware access. All hardware (disk,
network, display, etc) in HVM (VT/SVM) domains are done through the
device model (qemu-dm), which collects the information on what the
device access amounts to (say a disk read, which is some 4-6 IO writes)
it's gathered up into a packet and processed as a regular file-read, and
then a fake interrupt is sent back to the guest, which then releases the
blocked thread and 256 IO read operation is done.

--
Mats