Re: [Xen-users] Xen boot failed while mount root FS.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen boot failed while mount root FS.
From: Brian <cabernet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:51:26 +0930
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:22:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 12:52:49PM +0100, David Laban wrote:
> On Sunday 30 July 2006 11:51, David Laban wrote:
> > I am having the same problem as Adam, but using nForce sata (sata_nv)
> > (running Gentoo: I just went through the SATA section of menuconfig and
> > changed all options to exactly the same as they are for my working install,
> > but it's not working.)
> >
> > OOOOOH! I just went back and checked all of "SCSI device support"
> > recursively, and found:
> > gentoo: <*>   SCSI disk support
> > xen: <M>   SCSI disk support
>
> Yeah. That solved it. Now to work out how to get the network up, and into X.
> Wish me luck. (Don't ask me why I'm not simply using QEMU/vmware, because I
> honestly couldn't tell you :P )

For me, Vmware never went out of their way for Linux users. It was Suse fans
that helped people update modules, and (the unsung developer of
vmware-any-any-update) and provide the technical support to keep
Vmware running on Suse 9.2 through to 10.1. I would have been lost without
them. Also, some years ago Vmware dropped their single user lisence in favour
of a more expensive one. Back then they did not have much competition. Now
they seem to be falling over themselves to stay ahead of the pack. I
welcome Xen. The opportunity to have virtualization on an Open Source
platform is something I look forward to. It may take some time to develope a
comparable product. In the meantime we can make a smoother transition from
Vmware by learning how Xen operates and becoming strong in its inner workings.

My 2c from desktop user perspective ;)
Brian