Re: [Xen-users] Dual Booting

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dual Booting
From: Tomas Kouba <tomas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:54:08 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 00:53:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alexandre Miguel Pedro Gomes wrote:
Hello,

I've questioned you before about the use of 3D and accelerated graphic cards from inside a Xen guest and the conclusion is that its not possible now if it ever will anytime soon.

So, my alternative would be to Dual boot between a Xen host and another OS (Windows XP in this case). I wonder if Xen allows me to boot an Operating System that is also used as a Dual boot option. I don't know if I'm explaning myself correctly so here's an example: In grub I've Windows XP and Linux (Xen Host), I can boot Windows XP and use it natively. Alternatively I can boot the Xen host that will have several guests, one of them that same Window XP instalation.

VMWare supports this,

Do you have a link for the document? I tried it few months ago but the VMWare complained about sata disks.

Can Xen workarround this problem and allow this dual-boot & guest at same time?

I have seen postings to this list all unsuccessful :( If anybody comment or confirm that it is (im)possible to boot the same Windows installation in Xen and on 'bare metal' it would be great.

Another question (unrelated to the main subject) I've about Xen is if the Host can be used normaly, i.e., use X, Gnome, etc..., while having one or several guests running?

I do have setup like this, but the guest is paravirtualized linux with console only.

--
Tomas Kouba